logo

logo

Monday, April 29, 2019

The Truth About Low Hanging Fruit: What I learned as a seven year old working in an orchard.


When I was between seven and eight years old my father was reeling from a recent job loss. We had moved from Wyoming to Washington and were trying our best to get back on our feet. My Grandfather, my dad’s dad had passed away during our move; so that was adding to his difficulty in getting things really going.

It was during this time that my Grandmother suggested that my brother and I join them in the Cherry Orchards to pick cherries to earn money. My mother had grown up in a migrant worker family and at this time they were still in this line of work. So, with no better alternative my older brother and I woke up early in the morning (the sooner you get to the orchard the more cherries you pick and the more money you make) and began our labors to help support the family. 

I remember the work was hard. I was small and didn’t like ladders much because I was prone to accidents, so I stayed down low for most of the morning picking the fruit that was down at the bottom. The low hanging fruit if you will. Since this is the easiest fruit to get, everybody was picking the lower fruit, and I soon realized that if I was going to be successful, I was going to have to climb the ladder and go for the higher fruit, which appeared to be more desirable. I got into the tree and spent the entire day traversing the branches and filled bucket after bucket of cherries. Everybody else stayed on the outside and low, while I, being small, went as high as I could and did so from within the tree. The buckets were heavy for a small kid, and at the end of the day I was tired, but I had been successful. I earned the respect of my grandmother that day.

There is a lot to be said about “low hanging fruit” in the world of business. Those ripe customers just sitting there waiting for you to come by like a knight on a white stallion to give them what they want. They want what you have, and you are ready to give it to them. You don’t have to try much just reach up and the customer just lands there at your desk/counter/table/etc. Is there a problem with this? No, not really. Ready customers, willing and anxious to purchase is a good thing. You owe it to your business to take advantage of their willingness to purchase your good or service. It is the logical thing to do. But there is a point where it becomes unwise to go after low hanging fruit.

When your primary focus is going after this particular segment of your market base, you will eventually run out of business. Just like the fruit on a tree becomes sparse when everybody is picking at it, you have competition (if you don’t you are my hero), and they are going after the same ready customer that you want and need for your business. You never know when these customers are going to stop being so readily available, but they eventually do. I would venture to declare that there is no industry in existence that consists 100% of ready-to-purchase customers, or low hanging fruit.
You must be willing to do the hard work along with the easy work to ensure a long-running and viable enterprise. Meaning, that while you go after those ready-to-purchase customers, you are simultaneously marketing to those who are not yet aware that they need your service or goods, or those who will need it soon. A full and complete branding strategy must be established in order to be truly competitive.

Success based on strategies that focus on immediate ROI such as those ready-to-purchase customers will eventually run out of steam and produce lower and lower returns, and if you’re not careful you will strategize yourself out of business especially if your competition is aware of the need to have a more diverse approach to marketing.

This runs even more true when you focus on a niche market in a broader market segment. If your competition is effective at not only servicing the needs of the niche, but the broader market in general they will eventually win the race to that customer. Take Wal-Mart for example, they offer such a variety of products and services that customers go there for the convenience of getting what they want in one location without having to jump around from place to place. Although it is true that there are customers willing to go from place to place to avoid Wal-Mart in its entirety, those individuals are few and far between. If you are going to service a niche market you must be willing to do the necessary leg work to constantly put yourself in front of the potential customer and lead as the subject matter leader, or you will be left in the dust.

I recently had the experience provided to me of working with a dental company that focuses primarily on dental implants and nothing else. The principal doctor who started the company believes that he has a brand that is known by the market and that customers should be knocking on his door constantly for dental implant surgery. The problem is that he doesn’t have a widely know brand. His “brand” as he calls it is known by the low hanging fruit that he focused on and nobody else. When I met him, I recognized this, and in my proposal, I established a plan that would pull him out of obscurity and help him develop top of mind recollection within his very niche market. 

I came on board and began creating a marketing strategy that would effectively do this. I developed a multi-tiered approach to separate him from his competition and establish him as the subject matter leader. He waivered and hesitated for over two weeks to decide or move forward. Finally, he requested that I create alternative plans, so I did, and he chose one. The plan was not as robust as it should have been. It had been stripped down to accommodate his lack of understanding and unwillingness to meet with me to discuss how everything fit together.

In the three months that I was working with him; I changed the plan three times trying to accommodate his lack of initiative and ability to decide at crucial moments. He wanted the phone to ring off the hook, and I would explain that I was trying to create a long-term effect and not a short-term flash in the pan solution. He demanded all digital advertising stop and that he be returned to a print marketing strategy because that is what worked for him in the past. I tried using an analogy of picking fruit and how at some point you must climb the ladder, which was completely lost on him. I created a print marketing plan for him which he “accepted” but refused to decide on what to spend or what to offer as an incentive to get the call to come in.

Needless to say, I am no longer assisting him with his marketing strategies. He refused to provide a viable incentive to get patients to call in because he was used to them just calling from his ads. He refused to see that since last year his call volume has been steadily decreasing. He refused to see the writing on the wall that if he didn’t change his approach, that he would be out of business within a matter of a few years.

The low hanging fruit of the business world dries up. Businesses that are proactive, rather than reactive in their marketing will position themselves to capture business and smash their competition. It is imperative that those individuals upon whom the responsibility for marketing rests develop viable long-term goals along with their short-term goals with which they create strong messaging that communicates to the heart and mind of the ready-to-purchase customer and the customer who might not be aware that they currently or will shortly need the product or service that is offered.

Business owners must establish a mindset that not everybody needs or think that they need their product or service. And with that realization create the message that communicates the reason why they do need it or will need it. Especially when they operate within a niche market, like for example, dental implant dentistry.

NewLine Consulting Services is here to help you if you have questions or would like to have help in developing your strategies and plans. We will review what you have and help you establish a plan that will grow your business. 

Regardless of what you do, stay the course. Build a brand, cultivate your market and harvest the whole tree and not just the easy stuff. If you do this you will experience steady and prolonged growth, and you will outlive the competition because they will be gleaning the scraps that you leave them.

No comments:

Post a Comment